Pelican Point is the northern end of a long, low-lying peninsula of barren dune sand that forms the western side of Walvis Bay, protecting the bay from the Atlantic Ocean. In 1915 a small lantern was mounted on a wooden pole to mark the extremity of the peninsula. The present cast-iron tower was erected during 1931/2 and the dioptric revolving lens pedestal was commissioned in 1961. The light has a luminous intensity of 1,300,000 cd and is characterised by a group of three white flashes every 20 seconds.
Comparta sus comentarios o fotos en "Pelican Point Lighthouse"
Swakopmund was founded in 1892, by Captain Curt von François.On 4 August 1892 the crew of a gunboat named Hyäne (German for Hyena) erected two beacons on a large dune, probably in the vicinity of the present lighthouse. This is regarded as the founding date of Swakopmund.
En 1486, l'explorateur portugais Diego Cao, premier européen à fouler le sol de la Namibie, dresse une croix en hommage au roi Jean 1er du Portugal. D'où le nom de Cap Cross. Aujourd'hui, Cap Cross est réputée pour sa colonie d'otaries à fourrure. Leur nombre fluctue ...