The lighthouse at this site is meant to warn against the existence of a shoal about 4 NM from the shore. The shoal extends more than 9 NM toward south. The LH expert Mr Alan D Stevenson on his visit to this lighthouse in 1926 observed the light to be extremely low powered for the purpose of marking such danger. Besides he also mentioned about frequent Malarial attacks infesting the station.
The coast between Pulicat and Point Pudi, about 22 miles NNW, is marked by casuarina plantations for about 11 miles N of Pulicat Lake. A conspicuous clump of coconut trees, 24m high, lies on a sand hill about 1 mile S of Point Pudi.