The first lighthouse in Denmark was etablished in Skagen and Anholt in 1561. For many years there was a tilt beacon on Anholt eastern end, but in 1788 this was replaced by the brick lighthouse which stands there today was built under the leadership of Poul Løvenørn. During the 1807-14 war England was all Danish lighthouses off, but the British captured the island and then turned again lighthouse. They built a fortress around the lighthouse, "Fort York" called. Around the lighthouse, they built a kassemat showing the inner part is there still today. In 1881 the lighthouse was raised to its current heigh of 42 meters.
By: Holger Novotny Thomsen