Florida lighthouse is one of the most celebrated landmarks owned by the State of Florida.
The original lighthouse and cottage, built in 1825, were attacked and burned in 1836 by Seminole warriors protesting
U.S. presence in the South
Florida wilderness and resisting deportation from Florida to the West.
When the lighthouse was rebuilt in 1855-1856, it was extended from 65 feet to its present height, and wooden stairs were replaced with 119 spiraling iron steps to the top.
An abandoned lighthouse is on Cape Florida, the southern point of Key Biscayne. The lighthouse rises on the southernmost tip of Key Biscayne overlooking the rest of the more than 500-acre Bill Baggs State Park.
Un phare abandonné se trouve sur le cap de la Floride, la pointe S de Key Biscayne. Le phare se dresse sur la pointe S de Key Biscayne donnant sur les plus de 500 acres Bill Baggs State Park.
De nombreux hôtels-appartements tout en hauteur, sur le côté E de Key Biscayne sont également proéminents.