The first lighthouse on Sprogø was built by the postal services in 1809 for the demarcartion of the sea route between Sjælland and Fyn. In 1854 it took over lighthouse administration old post lighthouse, which in 1868 was replaced with the current good 13 high lighthouse. It was built on a granite plinth, and the tower is built of brick with a the wall of yellow and red Skrömberga clinker. In 1893, the whole tower to be bricked from a to-two-stone wall and wall work was beautifully built with inlaid patterns in the brickwork. In200 yeas has a lighthouse guided the north-south traffic through the Great Belt, whereas today it appears most of the east-west highway traffic.
By: Holger Novotny Thomsen