La perouse bay is located south of the town of Wailea. It was named for the french Captain Jean-François de Galaup, comte de La Pérouse, in 1786. La Pérouse surveyed and mapped the prominent embayment near the southern cape of Maui opposite the island of Kahoʻolawe. The bay is the site of Maui's most recent volcanic activity.
The anchorage at La Perouse is wind swept but, pretty comfortable.